Thursday, July 7, 2011

Being hit on

This story is one that has been told over and over. It has some how become infamous among my group of friends. I'm a little nervous 'telling' this story via blog, but I'm gonna go for it anyway. So, here is the story:


I was a new employee at my place of employment and got suckered into working a festival downtown. I got to the festival early, but did not want to look like the new kid who comes to work early because I'm a suck-up.... so I decided to walk around the festival for a bit. After seeing every booth and still having time to kill, I decided to walk a block past the festival and then go back. Downtown, the sun was going down and there was no one on the block past the festival. As I walked, I heard a man yelling at me from a red dodge ram truck:


"hey girl, you looking good!"


Now, I was the only person on the block, so I knew this creepy McCreeperson was talking to me, but I decided to ignore him. I literally did not turn my head, twitch, or acknowledge his existence. Just look straight ahead and walk. 


"Hey girl, I'm talking to you! I said you are looking good!!"


Continue to ignore and walk with a purpose


"Hey girl.... girl!... car door slam"


He didn't say 'car door slam'. He got out of the truck. He got out of the truck while yelling at me. He came up behind me, grabbed my shoulder, and turned me around. 


I had three options. If I wanted to avoid being molested, or kidnapped, or assaulted, I could:
a) run for my life. But considering I run like a wooly mammoth with asthma, that option wasn't a good one. 
b) fight. But, the only fight I've ever been in was with my BFF [shout out betsy!] at bible camp... Not prepared. 
c) I could pretend to be deaf. 


That's right. I went with option c. 


He turned me around and I said, "I'm deaf"... while impersonating a deaf person. Since that moment, I've been able to identify the person that inspired the deaf voice. Here is a clip from the movie 'the other sister'. Listen to the girl's voice:


Deaf voice

I know!! When I get to those pearly gates, St. Peter will be playing this moment on the big screen, shaking his head, and saying 'really?!?!'


But you know what? It worked. He immediately apologized and started motioning with his hands. I replied, 'it's ok' [while doing the deaf voice] and he left. 


I walked away feeling victorious and ashamed at the same. But I had lived. I survived. 

1 comment:

  1. My friend, Katie Gagel, sent me a link your blog.
    I think it was after this one that I decided I just had to tell you a couple things. 1) I'm a GA, and when I have nothing to do at work, I'm allowed to goof off on the computer; however, reading your blogs is not appropriate for me to do at work, since I almost kill myself trying to choke back the laughter that comes when I read your stories. 2) I have shared your blog with 3 other friends, who will love it as much as I do. 4) You are a great story-teller of a writer. Kudos. 5) I love laughing and I love this blog. =) 6) I wish that I had come up with the whole "respond-by-acting-deaf" bit. It's quite creative. And funny.

    ReplyDelete