Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Being from the country

I did not grow up in Lousville. Though I claim this city as my own, I am proud to say that I grew up in a small-ish town called Pewee Valley. I've ridden a horse, picked ta-maters [yes, pronounce it that way], and know everyone's business about everyone. Those are some of the joys of being from a small town. 
One of the fall backs: No, it isn't the lack of Starbucks, good restaurants, or grammar skills. 

It's the waving at random people. 


Drive out in the country or any small town and you will see what I mean. People wave at everyone. Even driving by, people at least do the two-fingers-from-the-steering-wheel wave. It's more than just the upward nod of acknowledgement we do in the city. It draws attention. It says, "hello! I know you are here and I am glad you are alive and kicking!"


How could this whimsical small town gesture be awkward? Well, when you are a relatively small town girl uprooted to the relatively big city, this waving at strangers doesn't always translate. In fact, it can cause problems. Now it's time for STORY FROM MY DAY!!


I left work around 5:30. I walked through the parking lot through the drizzling rain when I saw the TARC 3 cruising through the parking lot. For those unfamiliar with the TARC 3, it is public transportation for disabled person's in the city. It is a short bus [I'm really not trying to make a pun here....] and doesn't follow a regular route. It can be anywhere at anytime. 


So, I walk along and I make eye contact with the driver. Then it happened. It was like a reflex. A small town, Mayberry loving, don't wear shoes reflex from Hades. I waved at the driver. Big smile and generous wave at a strange man driving a bus. And what does this city driver do?


He pulls over. Like a taxi cab in Manhattan, he pulls over. I am thinking that he's dropping someone off until he yells, 'excuse me miss?" I started to go back, but then he started to drive. So I started walking the other way. About that time he saw that I was stopping for him, so he stops again. This back and forth 'me? him? me? him? confusion continues for several minutes. We finally stop at the same time and he asks 'were you trying to wave me down?' I apologized,


 'sorry no... I was just waving....?'


Really? Just waving? As if this was a reasonable response. Oh, don't mind me, I'm just a wavin' at strangers. Creating a better world, a more peaceful world, a world where we know our strangers... one wave at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment